The Department of Public Works provides maintenance services to Township roads and infrastructure, including storm sewers, and street sign installation. Other responsibilities include detention basin maintenance, mowing of Township properties, street sweeping, snow and ice control, and the annual collection of bulk, brush and leaves.
During a winter storm, access to properties and unimpeded traffic flow are vitally important to insure the safety of motorists. Prompt snow and ice control services on all municipally owned roads is therefore an essential task of the Department of Public Works personnel.
Public Works employees do not work alone to insure a quick and efficient control of snow and ice. Remember if it is snowing or expected to snow, please move all vehicles and portable basketball hoops, etc. from the roadway to allow snow and ice control services to work effectively.
Please read the below information relating to the appropriate disposal of yard waste, residential garbage, and other materials carefully to ensure your items are successfully collected.
Brush and Leaf Collection
Brush will be collected the first full week of each month from April through October. If your brush is not collected during the specified week, it will be picked up the following week due to emergencies or heavy collection from storm damage which prolongs the collection capabilities of our department. Please note there can be nothing comingled with brush or it will not be collected. If you have any questions, please call (609) 845-1100, Ext. 176. Leaf collection begins in the Fall and runs through the end of the year or unless specified by the Director of Public Works. Leaves should be on the curb, free of any garbage, branches and vine-like plants that will cause leaf collection machines to jam.
2023 Leaf Collection Schedule
THE MOUNT HOLLY TOWNSHIP PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT’S LEAF COLLECTION FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES WILL BEGIN IN OCTOBER. LEAVES WILL BE COLLECTED TWO TIMES IN EACH ZONE – THE SECOND ROUND OF COLLECTION DATES WILL BEGIN AFTER THE FIRST COLLECTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED IN ALL FIVE ZONES.
DON’T KNOW WHAT ZONE YOU’RE IN? CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE LIST.
*There will be No Leaf Collection on Major Holidays*
- First Collection – October 30 – November 3
- Second Collection – December 4 – December 8
- First Collection – November 6 – November 10
- Second Collection – December 11 – 15
- First Collection – November 13 – 17
- Second Collection – December 18 – 22
- First Collection – November 20 –22
- Second Collection – December 27 – 29
- First Collection – November 27 – December 1
- Second Collection – January 2 – January 5, 2024
MOUNT HOLLY TOWNSHIP DOES NOT PROVIDE GARBAGE CANS TO ITS RESIDENTS. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE RESIDENT TO PROVIDE THEIR OWN.
Mount Holly currently contracts out their residential garbage collection; Public Works is not responsible for trash collection. If you have any questions or concerns regarding trash, please call (609) 845-1192 or email email@example.com
Trash Collection Schedule – for a list of collection days plus residential map, click here or refer to the last page of the Township calendar.
Trash Collection Once a Week: Place cans or bags weighing less than 40 pounds at curb the evening prior of your scheduled collection day. Trash cans should be no larger than 96 gallons (about the size of the lidded, blue recycling bucket for size reference). No grass clippings, leaves/brush or car parts will be collected by trash collection company. See above guidelines.
No Trash Collection on Major Holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Trash collection on the holidays (and the days following the holiday) will usually be one day later. Observed holidays will be treated as a regularly scheduled week, unless otherwise posted. We will post any changes due to these holidays or any delays in collection as soon as they are relayed by garbage company on the main page of the website under “News”, posted on Township Electronic Sign often staged at the corner of High Street & Mill Street, through Nixle alert in addition on our Mount Holly Township Facebook page.
When any of the 6 National Holidays occur on the Day of Service, Waste Management is closed, and that service day goes to the next day.
Examples of all scenarios below:
Christmas, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving. Waste Management Trenton Closed, so if any of these days occur on:
- Tuesday-Holiday closed… then Tuesday Service goes to Wednesday, Wednesday and Friday Service stay the Same.
- Wednesday-Holiday closed… then Wednesday service goes to Thursday, and we still service the Friday route same day and Tuesday stays on Tuesday.
- Friday-Holiday closed… then Friday goes to Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday stay same as normal.
- Appliances/Metal: Pick up 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month. Call (609) 845-1192 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 11am the day prior to be added to the collection schedule. While there is no set time for metal collection, after confirmation has been received that the address was added to the collection schedule, identified items should be placed curbside the evening prior to ensure the location is not skipped.
- Brush: Brush should be placed at curb and stacked for collection by the Township Public Works. Refer to Brush Collection Schedule under Public Works Department.
- Carpets: Must be cut into 4’ wide sections, rolled up into bundles no larger than 2’ in diameter. No more than 1 room at a time. Carpet rolls must be tightly secured or they will not be collected.
- Construction Material: Contractors are responsible for removal and proper disposal of construction material. A dumpster should be scheduled with the Construction/Housing Department and all required documentation must be completed and submitted prior to dumpster delivery.
- Electronics: No electronic devises are to be collected by trash company or Public Works employees. There is an Electronic Drop-off is at the recycling/landfill complex in Florence as well as some retailers; it is encouraged to visit the Burlington County website for any updates or scheduled pick-up dates by County representatives. TVs will not be collected by garbage company. Any working or non-working devises can be taken to Goodwill or the Burlington County Landfill (609-499-1001) for appropriate disposal.
- Grass Clippings and Leaves: No grass clippings or other earthen materials will be collected by current garbage company; these should be placed at curb, in yard wastepaper bags or stacked neatly for collection by Township Public Works. Leaves should not be bagged with residential garbage.
- Large Trash Items (commonly known as Bulk): One large item can be placed curbside along with resident’s weekly household collection each trash day. Examples of bulk items would include but not limited to: sofa/loveseat, non-metal bedroom furniture, non-pressure treated wood (refer to Wood/Fence under Public Works
- Mattresses: All mattresses and box springs must be secured in mattress bags (available at hardware stores) or other plastic material to assist in cutdown the spread of unsanitary conditions.
- “Move-Outs or Residential Cleanouts”.: If you sold/purchased a property or have a vacated rental property and have a large amount of trash, a dumpster should be scheduled with the Construction/Housing Department and all required documentation must be completed and submitted prior to dumpster delivery. Large amounts placed at the curb will NOT be picked up and may be subject to Code Enforcement violations that could result in fines or tickets.
- Wood/Fences: Must be cut into 4’ lengths or smaller, free of all nails/screws/staples, secured with rope or tape and limited to 3 organized piles, stacked curbside during weekly residential collection. Please note, no pressure treated lumber will be collected by trash company or Public Works employees. Residents are required to dispose of any pressure treated material by transporting it to:
Resource Recovery Complex (Landfill)
22000 Burlington- Columbus Road
Florence, NJ 08518 Phone: 609-499-5300
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Public Works Forms & Documents
- Mount Holly– Recycling Pick-up Schedule
- Secure Disposal of Shredded Paper
- Proper TV & Computer Disposal
- Recycling Guidance for Residents
- Current Burlington County Recycling & Disposal Programs
- Hazardous Waste Disposal Pricing
- Acceptable Items for Disposal – Burlington County Hazardous Waste
- Unacceptable Items – Cannot be accepted at County Hazardous Waste Facility – (all questions/concerns relating to current unacceptable items or other household hazardous waste rates can be discussed by calling 609-499-5200 or email email@example.com).
- Burlington County Resource Recovery Disposal Fees – effective1/1/23 (all questions/concerns relating to current landfill and household hazardous waste rates can be discussed by calling 609-499-5300/5301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).